In the upcoming week, Congress will be debating SOPA/PIPA and may vote on its passage into law. If these bills are passed, it gives both Congress and major corporations the unconstitutional right to censor free speech on the Internet, and to shut down websites like the ones listed above that don’t promote what they want them to. If they don’t like what the sites are saying, they can SHUT THEM DOWN FOR GOOD.
It takes sixty seconds to contact your representative: there’s even a fancy little website that’s developed an algorithm (I told you it was fancy, shoot…) that calls your representative for you (sort of). All you have to do is leave a message. (click the link to go to that website)
And you know what else is fun? They’re all closed after 4:30 p.m…so let’s show them the night owls have a voice, too. Leave your representative a message TONIGHT and don’t wait, or we could lose the Internet forever. Our situation literally could parallel that of China’s (where there is no free speech on the Internet, and the only things that are broadcast online are what the government deems appropriate. They aren’t even allowed Facebook).
You can find more information here
One final thing. I am asking, rather somewhat begging you (not something you’ll find me doing often on my blog) to REBLOG this post. If you care about the Internet, if you care about Tumblr, if you care about your followers and the friends you’ve made here, you’ll help. You won’t sit by and do nothing. Because we are the generation of movement and innovation and change. We are not stagnate. We do not die, and we certainly do NOT go away when confronted with a challenge. We fight. So fight. Stand up and use your voice. Reblog this post, and don’t stop there. Go to that site. Learn more. Call your fucking representative and tell them that, goddamnit, this isn’t fucking okay.
(note: try and reblog this as a text post, not as a link. To do so, just hit the “reblog as…” button when you go to reblog, and then instead of clicking “as a link,” hit “as a text post,” instead.)
- Q: Does it ever get windy in Australia ? I have never seen it rain on TV, how do the plants grow? ( UK ).
- A: We import all plants fully grown and then just sit around watching them die.
- Q: Will I be able to see kangaroos in the street? ( USA )
- A: Depends how much you've been drinking.
- Q: I want to walk from Perth to Sydney - can I follow the railroad tracks? ( Sweden)
- A: Sure, it's only three thousand miles, take lots of water.
- Q: Are there any ATMs (cash machines) in Australia? Can you send me a list of them in Brisbane, Cairns, Townsville and Hervey Bay ? ( UK )
- A: What did your last slave die of?
- Q: Can you give me some information about hippo racing in Australia ? ( USA )
- A: A-Fri-ca is the big triangle shaped continent south of Europe.
- Aus-tra-lia is that big island in the middle of the Pacific which does not
- ... Oh forget it. Sure, the hippo racing is every Tuesday night in Kings Cross. Come naked.
- Q: Which direction is North in Australia ? (USA )
- A: Face south and then turn 180 degrees. Contact us when you get here and we'll send the rest of the directions.
- Q: Can I bring cutlery into Australia ? ( UK )
- A: Why? Just use your fingers like we do...
- Q: Can I wear high heels in Australia ? ( UK )
- A: You are a British politician, right?
- Q: Are there supermarkets in Sydney and is milk available all year round? ( Germany )
- A: No, we are a peaceful civilization of vegan hunter/gatherers.
- Milk is illegal.
- Q: I have a question about a famous animal in Australia, but I forget its name. It's a kind of bear and lives in trees. ( USA )
- A: It's called a Drop Bear. They are so called because they drop out of Gum trees and eat the brains of anyone walking underneath them.
- You can scare them off by spraying yourself with human urine before you go out walking.
- Q: Do you celebrate Christmas in Australia ? ( France )
- A: Only at Christmas.